[simpits-tech] Has anyone else ever noticed...

Roy Coates roy at flightlab.liv.ac.uk
Thu Mar 17 09:36:40 PST 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, Simon Bennett wrote:

> I'm sure we've all seen worse when it comes to military acronyms, though.
>
> For example, the navy used to shorten 'Commander-in-Chief, US Fleet' to
> CINCUS. This was changed during the early days of WWII, for obvious reasons.

LOL!  I'd not heard that one - I like it :-)

A friend of mine has for years ensured that systems he is writing have
dubious acronyms. He's gone through every dodgy word known relating to sex
or toilet activities. Not once has he been brought to task about it.

Years ago, I had to write a graphics language for some kit we had here and
got a tongue-in-cheek telling off from the boss who found the following in
my carefully, and innocently, written manual.

ARSE - Defines an Arc - Where R=Radius, S=Start Angle, E=End Angle.

For me, the classic of all time was when the polytechnic's up in the UK's
north east Newcastle/Tyneside area combined to form The "Combined
Universities of Newcastle upon Tyne".  The 4-letter acronym was priceless!

I think its more fun when accidental.

--

Roy Coates.
Dept of Engineering.