[simpits-tech] OT - Microsoft

Bubba mysticz28 at swbell.net
Wed Mar 2 23:41:59 PST 2005

Marv De Beque wrote:

> I view any company that works their employees on a habitual basis
> longer
> than 40 hours a week as a company that is always in a fire fighting
> mode,
> Such working environments tend to be pathological and are usually
> traced
> back directly to management and their processes.

I work for one of those companies (70 hrs last week). Simple solution in
this case is to hire more people and add a second shift. Silent machines
make no money.

Massive overtime may well make the company more money than it spends in
wages, but employees wind up getting burned out and even worse they get
exhausted and wind up working sloppy. Sloppy work leads to poor quality and
people getting hurt/dead/worse and THAT costs money. I've already had to
spend a full 2 days fixing someone's sloppy work this week and the "help"
they've given me to get my mountain of machining done is taking 2 hours to
do a 30 minute job.

I think that pretty much explains Windows95.
--
Steve
mysticz28 at swbell.net