[simpits-tech] Sorry, Gene...

Matt Bailey mattb at rtccom.net
Wed Jun 29 01:10:56 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 28 June 2005 22:08, Bubba set 1,000 monkies in front of keyboards
and came up with the following:
> Gene Buckle wrote:
> > My F-15 doesn't have to. :)
>
> But where's the fun in that?
>
> Got to pull some g's tonight. Not many of them, but it was greater than 1
> so it counts ;)

	I highly recommend every pilot take an aerobatics course. Aside from the
training aspect, it's fun. :) In my course, we tried to pull about 4g's on
initial pull-up in loops. It felt kinda odd, but actually wasn't really all
that uncomfortable for the brief periods we did (just held it for a few
seconds before coasting over the top). However, during a barrel roll once, I
started to see spots as we recovered....I think we were only at 2.5g's or
less, but we held it a lot longer. For some reason I really got a kick out of
1.5+ negative g's in the inverted portion of my sloppy slow rolls. :P

> Practiced steep turns, slow flight, and short field
> landings. Discovered I can do steep turns within 10 feet and 1 degree.
> Works for me :) Also discovered that control reversal in a 150 is a myth
> (at least in mine). I was plodding along at 50 MPH and 30 degrees of flaps
> and the rudder and ailerons hadn't traded jobs. And it takes a buttload of
> up trim to keep the nose up ;)

	150's are notoriously stable, in fact I've heard they're nigh impossible to
keep in a spin. I did a power-on stall in a 150 here the other day, and it
actually broke VERY gently to the *right*....either I was kicking in too much
right rudder, or the plane is warped. Either situation is entirely possible,
in this case. :D 172's are a different story though. First time I tried a
deep power-on stall in a new 172 at college, it really woke me up. The Tigers
we had been using like to snap a wing too, but they give an awful lot of
warning. What exactly do you mean by the aileron and rudder "swapping jobs"?
The rudder always acts the same. :) I can't say I've ever really noticed
total loss of aileron effectiveness, but this may be because usually I tend
to go mostly to rudder control to keep the wings level, by the time the stall
is fairly developed (well, really a combination of more rudder & less
aileron).

	-Matt Bailey