[simpits-tech] Controlling synchros

Simon Bennett servantofcthulhu at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 8 00:35:24 PDT 2005

>>Heh, the whole idea of building a simpit seems to have a sort of sisyphean
>>quality to it. Sometimes I wonder what I'm getting myself into.
>>
>Without a doubt.  Then again, that's what's fun about this whole thing. :)

Oh, definitely. At least you never run out of new things to do. And new ways
to electrocute yourself.

It's all a lot of fun, though, and there's a lot to learn in the process.
Six months ago I knew nothing about electronics. I still don't grok it, but
now I'm experimenting with my own circuits and logic gates and timers and
blinking LEDs, and building stuff that actually works. I even built my own
2-bit binary adder circuit (I was hoping for 4 but ran out ICs), just to see
if I could. Now I'm thinking I'll wire-wrap my own 8-bit computer together
out of TTL ICs, with my own instruction set and everything. That would be an
interesting project.

>>plane that *really* captured my imagination. I used to draw them all the
>>time, imagining myself as a waist gunner or a bombardier on one. Heck, I
>>even used to set paper "targets" on the floor and perform mock bombing
>>runs with crayons. I was one strange child. I loved playing that B-17
>
>That likely accurately describes most of us here.  My favorite was a B-17
>all chewed up, but still dropping bombs.

I had tons of books with pictures of battle damaged B-17s. Amazingly tough
plane. Like the one that had a ME-109 shear off one of the horizontal
stabilizers and almost cut the plane in half, or the one that took a direct
hit from a flak shell in the nose section. Everything forward of the cockpit
bulkhead a mass of twisted metal, blown open. It still managed to come home
and land.

I saw one (Nine O Nine, I think) pass over us at an airshow once, with a
B-24 right behind it. I was eight or so, but I can't forget the sound of
those 4 cyclone engines roaring as it zoomed past. Awe-inspiring. Makes me
sad that there are so few of them left. It's such a beautiful plane.

>Even took a soldering iron to a 1/48 scale model once to simulate bullet
>holes. :)

I used a swiss army knife; poke the tip into the plastic, and twist it.
Worked pretty good. Was that a  monogram B-17G kit? God, I must've built a
dozen of those over the years. Hell, I have one now sitting in a box not
four feet from me. I started it two years ago, finished the interior, I've
been waiting since then to get a decent airbrush. I want one to look nice,
for once. :) I have the airbrush now, but no time. I'm building a Monogram
Pro Modeler F-4E right now which is where my attention is focused. I've also
got a 1/48 Hasegawa A-4E in the closet that I can't wait to start. That's a
neat kit.