[simpits-tech] Controlling synchros

Simon Bennett servantofcthulhu at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 7 23:04:44 PDT 2005

>From: Gene Buckle <geneb at deltasoft.com>
>To: Simulator Cockpit tech list <simpits-tech at simpits.org>
>Subject: Re: [simpits-tech] Controlling synchros
>Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 20:45:30 -0700
>
>  >
>>Damn, that's too bad. I hope you find another one. Forgive my momentary
>>brown-nosing, but I really do think you have THE coolest 'pit on the face
>>of the planet. I'm kind of biased, though. I was absolutely nutty about
>>the F-15 when I was little (the only plane I obsessed over more was the
>>B-17), and I guess I still feel some of that. What you are doing is simply
>>awesome.
>>
>It happens.  It was my own damn fault.  If I had to have it that bad, I
>would've stalked it. :)
>
>It won't continue to be the coolest if I don't get off my ass and finish
>it.  It's one of those projects that was starting to feel like work, so I
>started flying R/C again.  I'll get back to it soon. :)

Heh, the whole idea of building a simpit seems to have a sort of sisyphean
quality to it. Sometimes I wonder what I'm getting myself into.

>The B-17 is a very cool plane.  It blew me away how small it was when I
>first saw one up close.

Hey, I must've been less than five when I first saw one, so it definitely
made an impression on me. When I last saw one a year or two ago, it seemed
not so much small as cramped. Kind of amazing they had ten people at a time
flying and fighting in it.  But that was the one plane that *really*
captured my imagination. I used to draw them all the time, imagining myself
as a waist gunner or a bombardier on one. Heck, I even used to set paper
"targets" on the floor and perform mock bombing runs with crayons. I was one
strange child. I loved playing that B-17 Flying Fortress game on my 386, all
the time, back in the day. That and Aces of the Pacific were what got me
into flight simming. I don't think I ever successfully finished a mission,
either. I either got shot down, got lost on the way back and never found the
airfield, or screwed up during landing and crashed.

It really brings to mind Lloyd Bridges' line from Hot Shots: "I've
personally flown over 185 missions, and I was shot down on every one. Come
to think of it, I've never landed a plane in my life!"

I just realized I still have that game in my closet, and the manual. I
should dig it out and try it again.

>>It's worth a try, but I doubt I'd find anything. It's hard to find anyone
>>on those forums who really knows what they're talking about. If they did,
>>the constant threads about the F-15C's obsolescence would never get
>>started. :)
>>
>Try http://www.lockon.ru in the English forums.  Much nicer place.  Ask
>SwingKid about it.
I used to frequently lurk on that board, but then they went down for an
extended period of time and I moved on. I'll try that. Thanks.