[simpits-tech] What is this ?

Matt Bailey mattb at rtccom.net
Mon Jul 11 12:54:51 PDT 2005

As I understand it, they're just using X-Plane's scenery engine.....which I
find *very* strange, as scenery is probably X-Plane's single weakest point.
There's a new system under development (the initial implementation can be
seen in the latest 8.x versions of X-Plane), but it had not been released at
the time FighterOps was announced, and I very much doubt they were given
access to the new technology when they licensed the X-Plane stuff because
what we're seeing now in 8.x is pretty much bleeding edge and it has a ways
to go yet.

The system that was around when FighterOps licensed the stuff is very very
outdated and inflexible. If these folks are seriously using this obsolete
technology without extensive modifications (read: a total overhaul, which
would make licensing the tech in the first place pretty pointless), I have
serious doubts as to the success of the sim. Let's hope there's more to the
situation than meets the public eye.

Random theory: perhaps the FighterOps people are getting access to the latest
v8 scenery development as part of the license deal. It seems strange they'd
put much into a system that they had not yet seen, but who knows.

	-Matt Bailey

On Monday 11 July 2005 11:07, Joseph Fagner set 1,000 monkies in front of
keyboards and came up with the following: