[simpits-tech] Need a plan

Bubba mysticz28 at swbell.net
Fri Jan 28 17:34:54 PST 2005

Phoenix2000 at phoenixcomm.net wrote:

> ok sound good but look at some of aluminum block that are / where
> around, I dont know how much $$$ you have for this project but if i
> remember
> there is/was a small block buick engine, or the vet and there are others

For bigger/faster airframes the Chevy LS1 block might be a good starting
point, but it weighs somewhere around 350 pounds as yanked out of a Camaro,
and that doesn't include a radiator, oil cooler, water, etc. 250 pounds is
my absolute limit.

> In my X-twin i started with a for 3l block from the Torus works
> great.. especially when you tossed there electronics module, I designed a
> new fuel computer of FADEC (Full Authority Digital Engine Control), Its a
> small SBC (single board computer) with Ethernet connectivity, inputs for
> START, CRANK, RUN, ALT(pressure), Crank sensor, Mas Air Sensor, Throttle
> Position Sensor, O & H20 Temp sensors, intake air temp.
> the output are for the Injectors, IACV, HV modules (from modular Ford
> engine ). oh yes all of the I/O was electrically  isolated from the
> computer, by the use of opto couplers (its a led and transistor that
> used the light as the base in a pnp configuration).  look at the HP stuff.
> and for
> more isolation & redundancy there are realy two computers with fiber optic
> connection to the I/O packages (a small box) in each engine
> compartment.

I personally hate fuel injection. I'm cursed with it on both cars, but
fortunately have carbs on both bikes (5 CVKs total :) ). Sure FI throttle
bodies are less prone to icing, but they can still freeze on ya any time the
butterflies aren't wide open. I have nightmares about ECUs dying on the
road, couldn't handle the stress in the air. Now if there was a way to get
rid of the digital electronics entirely and go with some more bulletproof
analog/mechanical stuff I might go for it.

> I changed all the plumbing to mill spec.   All of the injectors
> between the head & fuel rail (and that bolted down now, too), the clip on
> crap
> has all been replaced with stuff from my hydraulic shop, Aeroquip, or
> Earls
> will do the job. (I had a aircraft qualified welder to do the job), and
> cross drill them(for safety wire of course). After we where done. It might
> have
> been easyer and cheaper just to have milled me a new alu. fuel rail that
> was treaded to accept my fuel lines, and injectors.

Could have bought some fuel rail stock and machined it as needed. I was
considering that for boost fuel on a turbo setup I considered for a while
but finally decided that it wasn't going to work, but only because the turbo
wouldn't fit anywhere.
--
Steve
mysticz28 at swbell.net