[simpits-tech] Need a plan

Phoenix2000 at phoenixcomm.net Phoenix2000 at phoenixcomm.net
Thu Jan 27 22:32:02 PST 2005

At 09:32 PM 1/27/2005, you wrote:
>Phoenix2000 at phoenixcomm.net wrote:
>>
>>I have messed about with a few Corvair Engines in my
>>back-in-the-day.. Its way heavy and the manifolds are part of the head
>>casting itself...
>>Crown Eng in Calif.. did my heads to mount Webers and beter exhaust
>>systems. They had to mil the old headers (intake & exhaust) off the head
>>and weld
>>plates to it. Then it was a $$ in 71 dont know if they still are there.
>
>Not a problem. I have a lathe and mill in the garage and access to every
>kind of welding equipment known to man. Average installed weight, with a
>starter, more aircraft friendly carb, and alternator is 250#. Yes that's a
>bit heavy, but the KR2S is known for being tail heavy and twitchy in pitch.
>
>>Also you mentioned that you want to  get a custom ground cam.. ok but
>>car engines make power at HI RMPs
>>and not LOTS of torque. your motor has to turn over at 1500 rpm thats
>>about max for the prop. (but the motor
>>touque is at much higher rpms  good luck
>
>For a 52" prop 4500 RPM is still in the realm of efficiency. It's getting
>close to transonic by then, especially above 10k feet, but it'll work.
>However, the plan is a 4000 RPM redline and 3500 RPM cruise. The TBI 305
>in one of my Camaros has a redline barely over 5000 and I know peak torque
>is around 4300 RPM. It weighs a ton and a 52" prop is just way, way too
>small unless there were at least 6 blades. A truck cam can bring the peak
>torque down to about 3500 (and add 30% to the peak torque) which would
>work great. The problem is that a small block Chevy weighs more than the
>bare airframe ;) A 250 pound engine set up to make peak torque between
>3500 and 4000 will work great in this particular plane. It needs nose
>weight, the crank centerline is very low so it has to swing a small prop,
>and the plane doesn't weigh anything (980 pounds gross).

ok sound good but look at some of aluminum block that are / where around, I
dont know how much $$$ you have for this project but if i remember there
is/was a small block buick engine, or the vet and there are others
In my X-twin i started with a for 3l block from the Torus works great..
especially when you tossed there electronics module, I designed a new fuel
computer of FADEC (Full Authority Digital Engine Control), Its a small
SBC (single board computer) with Ethernet connectivity, inputs for START,
CRANK, RUN, ALT(pressure), Crank sensor, Mas Air Sensor, Throttle Position
Sensor, O & H20 Temp sensors, intake air temp.
the output are for the Injectors, IACV, HV modules (from modular Ford
engine ). oh yes all of the I/O was electrically  isolated from the
computer, by the use of opto couplers (its a led and transistor that used
the light
as the base in a pnp configuration).  look at the HP stuff. and for more
isolation & redundancy there are realy two computers with fiber optic
connection to the I/O packages (a small box) in each engine compartment.

I changed all the plumbing to mill spec.   All of the injectors between the
head & fuel rail (and that bolted down now, too), the clip on crap has all
been replaced with stuff from my hydraulic shop, Aeroquip, or Earls will do
the job. (I had a aircraft qualified welder to do the job), and cross drill
them(for safety wire of course). After we where done. It might have been
easyer and cheaper just to have milled me a new alu. fuel rail that was
treaded to accept my fuel lines, and injectors.