[simpits-tech] Fed up with MS etc... Maybe New Sim

Phoenix2000 at phoenixcomm.net Phoenix2000 at phoenixcomm.net
Mon Jan 24 22:26:19 PST 2005

At 03:49 PM 1/24/2005, you wrote:
>On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 11:41:01 -0600
>Phoenix2000 at phoenixcomm.net wrote:
> > >The point "can't talk to it" is definately not valid for FlightGear.
> > >There are a bunch of methods to get data in and out of the simulator.
> > >
> > >While flightgear is "monolythic" in the sense that everything is
> > >compiled into the main binary, it can be used sort of "modular".
> >
> > Not Not Realy
>

> > >the individual modules. This additional layer of communications would
> > >slow the whole thing down.
>
>OK, maybe I understood you wrong... I thought you meant the whole
>simulator as individual modules. What you write below sounds more like
>you meant to modularize the "systems simulation only".

>On that I totally agree. I was planning on writing some code for an
>external system simulation (for homecockpit sim use).
>... when I'm "done" with my hardware and interface software.
>
>For the purposes of simulating aircraft systems (electrical, pneumatic,
>hydraulic, and the whole logics behind them) it'd be great to run this
>outside the actual flight simulator engine.
>
>The simulator would fill in the part of "the real world" and its forces
>and stuff, like 3D inside/outside views, winds, and forces/physics of
>the environment acting upon the aircraft.

No your realy DONT get it..
Every module (software) can be swaped out for hardware. there is NO
monolithic system anymore.
There is no sacrificial cow its dead and we are going to cut it up. into
very easy to do subsystem.
You dont like one part of it change it.. You have the API (and by the way.
I have over 30 years with
UNIX, These API are going to be STANDARD. Most of them will come from ADFX
Ethernet. This is way the Boeing 777 uses, du.  We are going to use 802.3
UDP.. (been around a long time)

By doing this and using a Standard (NOT A F*** Moving, Undocumented target,
like any of the other SIMs.
This sim will be WIDE OPEN.
This way you don't need special hardware like ParamBus® simulation systems
hardware interface or EPIC cards or Hagstrom Decoders.
This way you can get ALL of the DATA, ALL of the TIME. You want to send
data into the SIM No Problem
(great for Instructors station.)

I should be able to deliver a small  6" x 6" sbc (single board computer
with) with 100baseT on board and the
with drivers in firmware (maybe Memory Stick) for less than $100.00 each,
then put on a keyboard encoder,
maybe USB inputs who knows.

Cris Harrison
Ok then please look at my NOTAM notice for Software under development.
www.phoenixcomm.net/~phnx2000/sim/notams.shtml
www.phoenixcomm.net/~phnx2000/sim/software.shtml

I need to know what's cool and what's not.

> > 1. No Not At all when I worked on the X-29, cockpit integration, we
> > were doing 50/60hz frame rates, and that my friend was along time ago.
> > 2. Jets have been fly around by fly by wire for more than a few years,
> > and have been using mil-1553 which runs at 1mb. or AIRINC-429. etc
> > 3. The bus structure for the 777 etc. is AFDX Switched Ethernet. You
> > just send / listen for UDP messages.
> > not a problem for 10baseT (thats 10x over 1553/429), you want faster
> > 100baseT, or Fiber.
> > 4. and the advantage that you did not see is that you dont like a
> > module? Take it out, replace it with software, or hardware.
>
>OK, so if I'm right, all you want could be written to use flighgear as
>the 3D view and physics simulation, while all systems can be written as
>external modules.

NO, NOPE the only thing we will use from flightgear is the Scenery Disks!
Its TOO DAM BIG. Its MONOLITHIC. SMALL is better. Just send messages.

Look
1. Put in startup stuff into NAV Computer (LAT, LON,   TEMP,  TIME  etc.
2.a  Start engine(s) get start enginge(s) mesage(s) from engine(s) controls.
2.b  Get fuel flow, temp, N1, N2, RPMs messages
3.  Get Clearance to Taxi
4. Move Throtles (send message)
5  Flight Dynamics Model says we are moving (INS tells me so)
6. Get Clearance to Roll (take off)
7.  Move Throtles (send message)
8. Get fuel flow, temp, N1, N2, RPMs messages
9 Flight Dynamics Model says we are moving (INS tells me so)
10. watch airspeed to 180kn. (messages from INS)
11.Pull back on yoke ( and send messages to FDM)
12 FDM says ok lift off (INS tells me so.)
13 Gear UP sends messages to FDM
14 Flaps UP sends message to FDM
15 watch the ADI, HSI move as you take off in the blue......
NOW at the same time all that crap was going on.........
You got and sent messages via the RADIOs
The OUT THE WINDOW Views changed by listing for INS  messages. (Whare am I,
and my attitude)
easy right?
Do you get it now?
ever see or play any of the FPS games that are networked. (they use UDP
with lots of players)

>There are alot of interfaces into flightgear, and another one can be
>written easily.
>
>Of course if things are kept somewhat indepentent, the systems
>simulation software modules could be plugged in to another simulator.
>

> > >Writing a new sim from scratch, even with lots of stuff already
> > >adaptable (fgfs scenery, simgear library, a few fdms) is still a huge
> > >task and will most likely involve years of work.
> >
> > maybe but most likely I'll have the first cut, up in a few months. (we
> >
> > write a lot of code in C/C++/FORTRAN/Perl/and a little Java), and it
> > would just be the core modules, Pilot, FD, INS, NAV.
> > we are working on the message format right now, and message viewer..
>
>What platform are you doing this on ?
>Unix/Linux ?
>
>Will it be free software/open source ?

Maybe I have to work through the messaging system first.. (the dispacter &
messaging system proberly not)
but they will be wide open with the API for the messaging system.