[simpits-tech] Need a plan

Bubba mysticz28 at swbell.net
Mon Jan 24 18:17:22 PST 2005

Matt Bailey wrote:

> Ah..........I'm 6'1" and around 200lbs myself, but I wouldn't mind
> having a -3. Would probably have an altimeter, airspeed, g-meter, DG,
> VSI (maybe),

A Dynon EFIS has the alt, ASI, g-meter, VSI, mag compass, and a few other
functions in one component. It also has outputs for autopilots. Perfect.

> with a transponder and a single NAV/COM tucked inconspicuously out of
> the
> way. You know what this is for..............yeah, AEROBATICS! :) Ah
> yes, and probably an Aresti panel for keeping routines in plain view,
> just in case I
> ever do the airshow thing. :)
> Dreams................

Having flown with both radio and GPS navigation, I'd go with a GPS/comm. A
Garmin 255XL if you want to do instrument approaches, 250XL if not. Actually
I'm not sure how it would work with an Experimental and IFR certification,
so the 250XL may well be enough. The only functional difference is that the
255XL is IFR certified for approach. A half width transponder can be suffed
away in a subpanel somewhere so about the only thing needed besides the EFIS
and GPS are the EIC and maybe some backup instruments in case the magic
smoke gets out of the EFIS. All I really need to get on the ground safely is
a mechanical ASI.
--
Steve
mysticz28 at swbell.net