[simpits-tech] Need a plan

Matt Bailey mattb at rtccom.net
Wed Jan 19 20:54:56 PST 2005

Bubba wrote:

> I've been slacking off lately and not working on anything related to a 'pit,
> but since 100LL is about $3/gal. and clicking the radio stack sucks, I want
> a radio stack and GPS. What are the current options for an IO gizmo that can
> handle a nav/comm (16 active digits, 4 encoders, 2 buttons), a transponder
> (4 active digits, 10 buttons), and an AP (9 active digits, 2 encoders, 8
> buttons)? I'm sticking with my original USB joystick adapter idea for the
> yoke, pedals/brakes, and power cluster. I think I'll wimp out and build the
> panel with copies of either SFS or Blue Mountain EFIS. If I can talk Garmin
> out of a display model I want to put an LCD in it and wire up the buttons.
> Always wanted to do that :) The yoke is gonna be fun. Have lathe, will
> fabricate :)

	I'd look into Phidgets. In fact the only real reason I haven't played
with them yet is I'm using Win98SE and refuse to "upgrade" Windows.
There is some third-party work being done for Linux support,
however.......if I can use Python in Linux to program a servo board, I
might have to try for analog instruments. :)
	I'm planning a GPS or MFD type device myself. I'll probably use a
project box or make my own faceplate for the unit, and pick up some
tactile buttons from allelectronics.com or some place like that. For a
display, these little Playstation 1 LCD screens look handy. There was
some discussion on the list about them recently, it seems they hook into
a PC fine with no modification, using the A/V inputs, but resolution is
limited to like 320x240 or something like that. By converting the unit
to handle VGA input directly you can get around 640x480 out of it. But
for a GPS or MFD, the lower res should do fine. The screen is 5"
diagonal (about 4" by 3"), just about perfect for a GPS. I'd write my
own software for logic and display, and grab XYZ coords from X-Plane via
UDP.

But right now project #1 is my flight control setup:

http://mattb.serverbob.org/pics/bungees2.jpg

http://mattb.serverbob.org/pics/cockpit.jpg

	I've got my eye on a used B8 grip on ebay, and I've got some switches
on order to make a simple control panel for gear, flaps, and maybe some
other stuff. X-Plane's current button scheme should allow me to
interface gear and flap control relatively realistically, using a simple
toggle switch for gear, and the rapid fire inputs of the Plasma for an
on-on-momentary 3-position switch for flaps. I also have a three-axis
vernier throttle box working (it's in cockpit.jpg on the wooden stand).

> For now I'm just resisting the urge to talk my Dad into a Citabria I found
> for sale. As much fun as that would be, it would SUCK for instrument time. I
> want something that tries to stay right side up and the Citabria just
> doesn't care ;) Besides, I'm going to fly to Reno this year and that would
> be a bit of a nerve wracking flight. Anyone have a mil and a half I could
> borrow? There's a nice T-6 II (PC-7) for sale... ;)

	Hey, I flew a Decathlon for a while at flight school and one of the
most fun things was just cruising around at low altitude for short hops
to different locales. A trip to Reno would be great in a little plane
like this, if you broke it up with impromptu airshows. ;)

	-Matt Bailey