[simpits-tech] Pneumatic controllers

Matt Bailey mattb at rtccom.net
Sat Feb 26 00:23:37 PST 2005

This is indeed something I quickly realized when considering using a servo to
control a valve, or to control the altimeter needles directly........the
servo just isn't precise enough. I think the bottleneck in that case would be
the mechanics of the servo. As precise as R/C servos are, they're still
designed for ~90* of rotation, not adjusting a valve precisely within a few
hundreths of a PSI, or rotating an altimeter arm 7,000* precisely.

From my brief tests with the quad controller it sure looked like it was
spitting out plenty of res, judging from the motion of the servo. My "plan"
isn't really fancy or anything....just hack a servo to output variable
voltage. But since Craig is familiar with Phidgets and servos, I have to
assume he's considered this. My guess is that the regulators themselves just
don't provide the needed precision, regardless of how fine the control
voltage is.....unless you spend the big bucks for fancy regulators.

	-Matt Bailey