[simpits-tech] Conversion of electrical gauges

Phoenix2000 at phoenixcomm.net Phoenix2000 at phoenixcomm.net
Fri Apr 15 10:57:35 PDT 2005

Hi Joseph
If I remember I tried to use the 60 Hz stuff but it is too lossy as its
the wrong impedance....
and yes..
on the conversion... with out all the math... here it is... (college paper)
1. you need 400 Hz 3 phase supply this has to be really clean but you
will need to make this a digital system and have your out puts 120 deg,
out of phase.. These go to the 3 phase stator wires.
2. then you need to build an 400 Hz pll (phase lock loop against the
phase 0.
3. when this is done your almost there...
4. now you have to change the phase of this phase to any arbitrary phase
0 - 359 deg..  almost like fm but not..
1 bit  360
3 bits  90
4 bits  45
5 bits  22.5
6 bits  11.25
7 bits   5.625
8 bits   2.8125
9 bits   1.40625
10 bits   .0703125
11 bits   .03515625
So with a 8 bit converter you should resolve to 1.5~ deg or so... a
needles width...
5. drive this phase to your stator. and ta da...

FINS just remember that a syncro receiver is just like a motor... but it
just doest drive in one direction all the time but you can 'direct' it
just like a servo, but it uses a lot less power, and by increasing your
conversion to lets say 12 bits  you get 0.1758125 deg of movement....
Happy Landings.