[simpits-tech] Conversion of electrical gauges

Matt Bailey mattb at rtccom.net
Sun Apr 10 02:27:07 PDT 2005

Chris Brace wrote:

> Matt,
> Check out pages 149-153 of there catalog (when u get it). They carry the
> "ACS" brand which is significantly cheaper than the actualy cessna certified
> parts. This is what I got
> (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/a750.php) and at a little
> over $58 USD you just cant make anything that comes even close and it’s the
> real deal.
> I also bought a throttle control
> (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/a800.php) and then made a
> small adapter plate for use with my Plasma ACE boards (ive posted a pic to
> the simpits website).

	Hmmm, a little pricey, but I bet it's worth it. They look pretty nice,
look like authentic Cessna controls. Are they similarly smooth &
precise? Older Cessnas were sometimes a bit rough but the new engine
controls are smoooooooth as glass, with pretty constant friction across
the range of travel.

> It took a while to work out the gears (designed, drew
> and cut them myself) but the laser cutter makes short work of the acrylic
> sheet and and boy does it get some accuracy!!

	Unfortunately I don't have access to a laser cutter or similar
precision cutting tool, but I'm using linear pots so I'd probably just
use a bellcrank setup to get the right travel. Alternatively, Simkits
claim to have accurate engine controls, and they do use linear pots, so
maybe I could track down a pot with that amount of travel and just hook
it directly into the throttle handle (and dump the cable entirely).

	-Matt Bailey