[simpits-tech] Conversion of electrical gauges

Matt Bailey mattb at rtccom.net
Sat Apr 9 01:53:19 PDT 2005

Howdy,

  I occasionally see stuff like electronic tachs, altimeters, etc on ebay. I
know small systems instruments like EGT, oil pressure, etc as seen on light
planes, typically use air core motors, but what about the big stuff
(especially altimeters and other instruments with lots of travel)? Judging by
the connectors on one tachometer I see, I assume it's a digital
connection....sending data and not just a simple voltage or something?

  I'm about ready to start working on some Phidgets instruments using servos,
but I also want to look at other solutions (I'm still not sure what I'm going
to do about the altimeter.....Pihers sound troublesome).

	-Matt Bailey