[simpits-tech] Dell Poweredge Computers

Simon Bennett servantofcthulhu at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 30 12:34:53 PDT 2004

These things ain't just dumb terminals, they're full-fledged laptops. About
the size of a VCR. Weigh over 20 lbs. I've got two of them, plus a couple
other models. The 1537s are 386s, with 4 megs of RAM. Mine don't have
harddrives. All inside a magnesium alloy case. Mine weren't demilled in
anyway except by the removal of the hard disk (which just slides in and out
of the side on a tray). I took one apart, and everything was wrapped in
copper foil to prevent any kind of electromagnetic emissions. Everything's
made out of machined aluminum. I can't even begin to guess what these things
cost the government. I was going to have one or two running the cockpit
displays. I don't have pics, but if you've seen the Aliens director's cut,
the computers running the sentry guns are older, but nearly identical
models. I think those were 8086s.

Assuming you did lob one out of a trebuchet, it'd probably do little more
than scratch the finish. There's a story about a careless soldier dropping
one out of a helicopter, onto the tarmac, and it still working perfectly
afterwards. The hard drives probably wouldn't withstand the shock, but I
think that one was a GRiD Compass (the first clamshell laptop ever), which
used bubble memory for data storage.