[simpits-tech] Dell Poweredge Computers

Bubba mysticz28 at swbell.net
Mon Sep 27 17:03:02 PDT 2004

snar5 at yahoo.com wrote:
> Hey all just wondered if I could get some feedback on
> a machine I wanted to use as my main MSFS computer.
> Woudl there be problems just using this as a gaming
> computer, It was a very good price no OS on it yet I
> will put that on later (WINXP PRO)
>
> Dell Poweredge 400SC
> 2.8 GHz Pentium 4 CPU with HyperThreading Technology
> (HT)
> Intel 875P Chipset with 800MHz FSB
> 512MB DDR SDRAM, 40GB of 7200 RPM Storage

Ignoring my AMD preference, there are only 2 minor problems. Half a gig of
RAM is about the bare minimum and 40 gigs of hard drive isn't much. However,
there's one major problem: it says Dell on it. My first "real" computer was
a Dell. We paid a large amount for on site service. They REFUSED to come out
and fix it when the on board video went away. I wound up having to buy a
card and put it in there to get my 3 WEEK old computer working again.

While I'm ranting, run screaming from Sony, too. The laptop batteries have a
30 day warranty and I've never seen one last more than 6 months. Wow,
impressive results from a $200 battery. As if having to plug it into the
wall every time I want to use it wasn't bad enough, it suddenly died over
the weekend. Won't even power up now. So out came the drive and into a USB
box it went. $1200 for a 6 gig external hard drive. I'll be replacing it
with an Alienware (green to match my bike, please).

I had planned on building a new machine last year, but found an eMachines
with everything I wanted except a gig of RAM and a Radeon 9600. After
sticking another half gig of PC2700 and the Radeon in there I actually spent
about $200 less than buying it all myself and I got a copy of XP and a CF
card reader free :) This particular machine has a standard ATX board in it,
so upgrading it down the road isn't a problem.
--
Steve
mysticz28 at swbell.net