[simpits-tech] Someone's bound to like this...

Matt Bailey mattb at rtccom.net
Sun Sep 19 13:01:51 PDT 2004

Joseph Fagner wrote:

> I'm not a lawyer, but it probably isn't really unconstitutional (although it
> might be since the govt is essentially conducting the search).  But, just to
> play Devil's advocate, there's nothing in the constitution that give you the
> right to fly on privately owned aircraft.  Thus, if the airlines want to
> search you, they can.  It's their planes and their rules (although I guess
> this is the grey area here since it's now the govt. rules), if you don't
> want to be searched, they don't have to let you on board the aircraft.

	True on the part of the airlines...........no one's forcing you to use
the airlines, and if they make their own rule requiring searches, that
isn't unconstitutional. Only thing might be, they could possibly be
breaking some specific law or ordinance (I got no idea if this is the
case, just a possibility). But yeah, since it's not *just* an airline
thing but is in fact a government requirement, and since the government
is doing the searching.........it's unconstitutional, plain and simple.

> I don't mind being seached, but by God, you better be searching everyone
> including the ones that look suspicious, I don't give a shit if it's racial
> profiling or not.
>
> There's been reports of plans of small pieces of bombs being smuggled onto
> aircraft with the intention of them being left in the lavatory.  Then, when
> all the pieces are there, one guy gets on, assembles the pieces and kaboom!!
> Not too far fetched given the two Russian airliners that have been blown up.
>
> Jay

	Good idea...........a lot of trouble though. I hope the powers that be
realize that a lot of the more far fetched/complex methods of attack are
just not worth it for many people/organizations and that further
restricting permissable carry-on luggage and cargo isn't going to be
worth the minimal increase in security.
	The government has no business randomly searching innocent citizens
(remember, innocent until PROVEN guilty), especially without any grounds
whatsoever for suspicion other than the intent to fly on commercial
airlines. That's why government and police agencies are supposed to have
to get a warrant before conducting searches..........

	-Matt Bailey