[simpits-tech] Slide potentiometers

Matt Bailey mattb at rtccom.net
Sun Nov 21 18:29:36 PST 2004

Gene Buckle wrote:

> > Thanks Jeroen. IIRC I was getting max resistance across two lugs, I
> > don't recall what the other two read. FWIW, these will be going into a
> > Plasma unit. I did verify the resistance changes as the wiper moves,
> > just wanted to make sure I had the ground situation squared away so I
> > don't zap something. :)
> >

> Matt, the way those are built, you can pick which direction is "up".  Test
> it one way and the resistance goes from low to high.  Change lugs and it
> will go from high to low.  You're likely using the same model of slide pot
> that I have in the F-15.
>
> g.

	Yeah, they reverse range when swapping lugs. I thought standard rotary pots did the same thing? Maybe
it's been too long since I messed with those. This is the model:
http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?&handler=data.listcategory&D=*3129201100K*&terms=312-9201-100K&Ntt=*3129201100K*&Dk=1&Ns=MfgrPartNumber%7c%7cSField&N=0&crc=true
They're like what you might see on an audio mixer board, for instance (except they're linear taper, of course). I like the long throw of these
units, should make them easier to work with in the case of my less-than-perfect mechanical setups. :P It does make things a bit tight on the
throttle box, but based on my test fitting last night they should work well (just have to have part of the control linkage up high on the
lever, which makes it visible from the outside, but it's not too bad). Later I'll probably get a different box and make a new unit with the
linkages connected below the axis of rotation instead..........but hopefully by that time my situation will have improved to the point that I
can actually start on a full cockpit. :)

	-Matt Bailey