[simpits-tech] Driving LED's form the parallel port (?)

Ido Dekkers idekkers at clicksoftware.com
Wed Nov 3 15:08:38 PST 2004

why not use something that someone already did ?
http://cockpit.varxec.net/electronics/PHCC.html

Ido

             Roy Coates
             <roy at flightlab.li
             v.ac.uk>                                                   To
             Sent by:                  Simulator Cockpit tech list
             simpits-tech-boun         <simpits-tech at simpits.org>
             ces at simpits.org                                            cc

                                                                   Subject
             11/03/2004 05:07          Re: [simpits-tech] Driving LED's
             AM                        form the parallel port (?)

             Please respond to
             Simulator Cockpit
                 tech list
             <simpits-tech at sim
                 pits.org>

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Bubba wrote:

> Roy Coates wrote:
> >
> > I figure 8 LED's I can operate 'for free' ain't a bad thing. Talking
> > to our electronics guru its best to 'sink' the LED's via the port
> > rather than try to provide enough mA to drive them directly.
>
> Last time I did it I just stuck a transistor on each LED and used the
port
> to control those. Worked fine for about a buck extra.

That would certainly take the load off the printer port and is the elegant
way of doing it.

I'm looking at using a PIC driven via the serial port. It should be easy
to make a small board which allows PIC's to be daisy chained, each having
its own ID byte.

Send  PIC-ID followed by required bit-pattern

--

Roy Coates.
Dept of Engineering.
E-Mail: r.coates at liv.ac.uk