[simpits-tech] Driving LED's form the parallel port (?)

Roy Coates roy at flightlab.liv.ac.uk
Wed Nov 3 03:07:27 PST 2004

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Bubba wrote:

> Roy Coates wrote:
> >
> > I figure 8 LED's I can operate 'for free' ain't a bad thing. Talking
> > to our electronics guru its best to 'sink' the LED's via the port
> > rather than try to provide enough mA to drive them directly.
>
> Last time I did it I just stuck a transistor on each LED and used the port
> to control those. Worked fine for about a buck extra.

That would certainly take the load off the printer port and is the elegant
way of doing it.

I'm looking at using a PIC driven via the serial port. It should be easy
to make a small board which allows PIC's to be daisy chained, each having
its own ID byte.

Send  PIC-ID followed by required bit-pattern

--

Roy Coates.
Dept of Engineering.
E-Mail: r.coates at liv.ac.uk