[simpits-tech] MBUs

Steve Wilson mafsix at hotmail.com
Thu May 13 10:08:54 PDT 2004

John -

The flow through the main hose is one way, O2 only.  Air exhausts around the
mounting for the hose to the mask.  I don't recommend trying to clean the
hose if you're worried.  A replacement can sometimes be acquired through
eBay.  Attempting to clean the hose inside is neither easy nor, I feel, a
good idea.   Once moisture or alcohol gets into all those ridges, it's a
long time before it dries, and that can lead to other issues.  It's almost
impossible to clean, IMHO.  If you can't get a replacement, I'd recommend
getting the sucker as pretty as you can and trading it with Trey at Check 6
Aviation (the flight gear collectible guy) for a new one and some additional
$$.  I got an MBU-12 on eBay that smelled like an ashtray, and worked out a
decent deal.  If you are really planning on breathing through the thing for
extended periods of time, then new is the way to go.  Ya never know where
that hose has been.

Steve