[simpits-tech] Jetranger with turbine

Bubba mysticz28 at swbell.net
Wed May 12 23:16:13 PDT 2004

Matt Bailey wrote:
> Oh turbines are becoming surprisingly widespread on big jet
> models...........but I do not know of any helicopters that actually
> power the main rotor with a turbine engine. That would REALLY be cool.
> :) I've also not heard of any turboprop model engines. Directly
> linking
> a turbine to a prop or rotor would I think be very demanding on the
> equipment, you'd have to have a very robust prop driveshaft setup.
> However, doing an indirectly linked setup (Pratt & Whitney style, like
> on King Airs) might not be so bad, you'd just have to use something
> durable like titanium for the impellor thingy to drive the prop. And
> you'd have to work out the logistics of mounting the engine backwards.
> :)

I've seen both turboshafts and turboprops. I believe the turboprop was a
single spool, too. Shaft connected straight to a gearbox. The turboshaft was
definately a 2 spool engine with a free turbine going to the gearbox.

I've had this urge to build an electric B-58 for a while. Would cure a bunch
of my urges, actually. Delta wing, multiengine, and ducted fans. I think I
can get away with making the entire airframe out of 3 pieces of glass (well,
carbon and kevlar anyway) with 2 spars in the wing and another up the fin
just to give something to hinge the rudder to. Just need to find someone to
carve me a plug since I suck at that part :)
--
Steve
mysticz28 at swbell.net