[simpits-tech] Jetranger with turbine

Matt Bailey mattb at rtccom.net
Wed May 12 16:11:09 PDT 2004

Oh turbines are becoming surprisingly widespread on big jet
models...........but I do not know of any helicopters that actually
power the main rotor with a turbine engine. That would REALLY be cool.
:) I've also not heard of any turboprop model engines. Directly linking
a turbine to a prop or rotor would I think be very demanding on the
equipment, you'd have to have a very robust prop driveshaft setup.
However, doing an indirectly linked setup (Pratt & Whitney style, like
on King Airs) might not be so bad, you'd just have to use something
durable like titanium for the impellor thingy to drive the prop. And
you'd have to work out the logistics of mounting the engine backwards.
:)

	-Matt Bailey