[simpits-tech] B747-400 Cockpit Dimensions

Manuel Bessler manuel at varxec.de
Wed May 12 04:37:46 PDT 2004

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 07:17:07AM +0700, Sittisudjatum, Sukit  wrote:
> Sorry for not reading trought your web site :(  I just checked it at a glance, but couldn't recall my memory that I know the software called FlightGear Simulator.  So, you have a full control to generate keys or do anything with the software?  I'm sure it's too difficult for me to get to that point.  It sounds like another X-Plane program group.

No, FlightGear is not like X-Plane. XP is written by one person and
sold. Flightgear(FGFS) is written by several people from around the
world and distributed for free. Everyone can download it from
www.flightgear.org
If you know how to program, you can help with the program by writing
some code for example. But even for non-programmers there's lots of
things they can help with. Contributing flightmodels, 3D models, 3D
cockpits or help write documentation.

To access the FGFS internals, you don't need to rely on keyboard
emulators (which of course can be done as well. Not only that, but you
can change/create new keybindings for almost anything)
One example of how to access these internal variables would be the built
in http server which allows you to point your browser to it and you can
see and change variables from flightgear. Another method is the telnet
interface. You just telnet into the machine running flightgear on the
port you specified when starting the sim and then you have a simple
command prompt which lets you see and change the variables which look
very much like files and directories.
The same treelike view can of course be accessed from within the
simulator itself. You could eg. pause the sim, change the amount of fuel
in your tanks, and then unpause (also works without pausing, but the
first duty of a pilot is: fly, fly, fly :-)))

Since flightgear is free, you can download the latest version and test
it for yourself. While most people use it under Linux, there's a windows
version and there are more and more windows-based flightgear users
every day.

Most of the communication of the flightgear developers and users is
going on over the mailinglists.

If you have more questions about flightgear, feel free to ask :)

Regards,
Manuel
--
Opensource/Free Software: No Gates, No Windows