[simpits-tech] Microstop....

David C. Allen allendc at qwest.net
Mon Mar 29 11:48:25 PST 2004

At 10:28 AM 3/29/2004, you wrote:
>Dave, could you describe how those microstop cutters are used?

I use them in a drill press, or with a hand drill. The Microstops I
purchased from Ray Lawrence, email  RL100W at aol.com use a 1/4-28 threaded
cutters. Cutters come with different countersink angles, 82,  120, 130
degrees, 100 degrees is a common angle for aircraft screws and rivets.

>  How do you control the depth of cut?

There is a collar, collar locking ring, set of teeth and a skirt. The
collar is threaded and allows you to set the point that the cutter extends
below the skirt. The skirt rests on the surface of the material you are
going to cut. The adjustments are in .001's of an inch.

You set the depth using a sample of the same material that you will be
cutting. It is best to purchase the screws and or rivets first then you can
measure using the actual parts and countersink angle.

I have four Microstops, each is setup with a piloted different cutter:
Dzus countersink
8-32 100 degree Flathead screws
6-32 100 degree Flathead screws
2-56 100 degree Flathead screws

>   How do you measure how deep the tool will go?

I use a vernier caliper to measure the depth of the face of the screw or
rivet below the surface.

David