[simpits-tech] Slightly OT - Piper Cub

RickInNoCal at aol.com RickInNoCal at aol.com
Mon Mar 8 16:56:17 PST 2004

When I was growing up, my Dad was a PFA homebuilt aircraft inspector. I went
with him many times on inspections, and a few times to examine the wreckage of
crashed homebuilts. I remember him failing the welds on partially completed
homebuilts over and over. I also remember that weld failure, or failure of the
steel close to a weld, was a common causative factor in wrecks we looked at.

Incidentally, a friend of his from those days (and still) was killed over
last weekend. While doing a glider tow launch the tug he was flying suddenly
nosed over at about 500ft and went straight in. From the report of the glider
pilot and eyewitnesses on the ground, plus the CAA's first look at the wreck
(which burned) they are leaning towards a catastrophc medical condition. The people
on the ground who tried to get him out before it caught fire reported he was
dead or unconscious and blue.

He was 74 yrs old , apparently in good health up till then, and doing what he
loved. If you've got to go, I guess that's as good a way as any.

Richard