[simpits-tech] Screen material

Jim K. JimK at sisna.com
Fri Mar 5 13:13:46 PST 2004

Guys,
Another good choice for a projector screen is a white plastic sheet that
you can buy at Home Depot.   I don't remember the name of it now.  Its
actually used for waterproofing walls and comes in something like 4x8 feet
sheets.  Its about 18 to 20 dollars.   It has a gain of about 1 so it is
basically the same thing as buying a 1 gain screen.   It works so well that
many people were using it for home theaters that the company that makes
those sheets made sheets that were bigger exclusively for HT users.   I
made a wood frame for the one I made and painted it flat black.   It works
really well.   I compared it to about 12 real screen material samples I
have and you couldn't tell the difference.  Almost all 1 gain screens
perform the same.  You really don't see differences until you get into the
higher gains.
Jim