[simpits-tech] Wulfsburg

Fred Mahone fred.mahone at vt.edu
Tue Jun 15 13:38:48 PDT 2004

Gene,

	I think the control head is about 13 to 15 years old. It is the first of
the programmable radios, VHF high band only. The newest one is the
full radio panel mounted all bands. It looked like it had EL lighting, nvis
compatible.

	I think government specs go out of their way  to be costly. Your tax money
at waste!

	I was thinking about the most durable panel. Photo etched or high pressure
water cut letters in aluminum, hard anodize, EL backlight on
another aluminum panel with the Dzus fasteners. It would be ultra thin,
extremely durable, nvis compatible and anti-static. Our materials
engineering department has a laser cutter that can take a cad program and
do the cutting but the letters are not that small. I got a demo panel from
a company that does the water cutting and it is nothing less than amazing.
But, I doubt the government will change to something like this.
The trend seems to be touch screen.

Fred Mahone