[simpits-tech] panels

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Tue Jun 15 09:56:33 PDT 2004

> The front panel of my Wulfsberg control head appears to be white plastic
> with flat black paint. The rear of the panel shows white around the lamps.
> I do not know how they could get a laser to etch vertical hole sides of .25
> inch holes. I guess Wulfsberg did not use mil-spec panels.

How old is that control head Fred?  That type of panel design hasn't been
in common use for years.  Mostly now you'll find "Type 5" panels that have
a VERY thin circuit board that holds all the lamps attached to the back of
the panel.  A variant on that is the "Type 4".  The 4 actually makes the
lamps part of the panel by casting them and their wiring into channels in
the back of the panel.

> I checked on a replacement for the audio panel as it had seen better days
> and was quoted $700.00! This is for a 1.25 by 5.25 inch panel.

....and now you know why we're so desperate to find a method of making
these suckers cheaply enough so that you don't have to skip a house
payment to buy a panel. :)