[simpits-tech] RE: paint colors

Jim K. JimK at sisna.com
Fri Jul 30 14:58:36 PDT 2004

Guys,
Here is a cool site for Fed Standard paint info:

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/stuff_eng_colorcharts_us.htm

I just had 10 gallons of different paint mixed up for me at a local
professional paint supply store.
You can order the FS (mil spec) paint but its about $150 per gallon.

The real tricky part about the FS paint is that it has a very tough surface
and its a VERY flat color.   Thats tough to do without having the paint
have a "chalky" surface.

I had my paint guy mix up the paint so that they were a pretty close match
to the FS color.   I used an industrial enamel paint.  It has a very tough
surface and it doesn't dry as fast as lacquer.   I'm going to be applying
the paint with a spray gun so I don't want a real fast drying paint.

Colors are tough to match EXACTLY since the color matching computer isn't
perfect.  It will come down to how good the paint guy is.
I worked with my paint guy and once we had the colors matched pretty close
we added a "flatener base" to the paint to get a nice flat sheen.

The FS numbers basically tell the mfg what the sheen is and what color the
paint is.

Jim