[simpits-tech] BPL

Fred Mahone fred.mahone at vt.edu
Tue Jul 20 15:20:09 PDT 2004

You had better hope that they never bring BPL your way. Broadband over
Power Lines produces interference to real users of the
RF spectrum, including aircraft communications. The local governments are
chomping at the bit to get it as it is another cash cow to be milked dry.

Where it has been deployed, they are still trying to get rid of the
interference. But, since they cannot even reliably supply electricity, how
can they expect to deliver broadband Internet?

I will consider direct connection when it is delivered by fiber optic,
anything else is either too costly or expensive.

Our communications on campus is carried by fiber between the buildings and
our research center and we are nowhere near capacity and have not had a
trunk failure since it was installed.

Fred Mahone