[simpits-tech] Nascar Thunder 2004

Matt Bailey mattb at rtccom.net
Wed Jul 14 22:56:14 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 13 July 2004 08:13 am, Brian Sikkema wrote:
> >If you get frustrated, just run the course backwards and watch the sheet
> >metal fly. :D
>
> Don't think for a second I haven't tried it! But that's the other bad thing
> about NT2004 - they disqualify you and end the session if you start driving
> backwards! No, your best bet is to get in front of the pack and spin out,
> hehehehe

	Grrr, stink! They must have got tired of guys like me misusing the sim...or
they are trying to get us uncivil types to switch to demo derby sims. :D

> I think my biggest issue right now is I need to play around with the
> sensitivity and deadzones on my controller. I just can't keep a very tight
> line, which is a recipe for disaster in these conditions.
>
> Brian

	What kind of controller you using? I suspect I'd have massive trouble with my
old traditional pot-and-gameport sticks, but my Sidewinder FF Pro with the
optical sensor is great. It's still a gameport device but tracks nearly
perfectly. Could stand to be a little smoother around immediate center maybe,
although I think most of what little lack of precision I notice around center
is due to the physical structure of the stick. Setting up the control curve
with major exponential near center would probably help (i.e., almost no
movement from minute deflections, but with control response rapidly
increasing up to current "normal" rate as you get right past center....*NOT*
a deadzone though!). If only I *could* change the response curve, that

	-Matt Bailey