[simpits-tech] Computer problems

Joseph Fagner falcon4 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 10 14:39:22 PDT 2004

Both of the previous suggestions are right on.  If they don't work, try changing your boot device sequence in the BIOS so that the floppy and CD are not listed as potential boot devices.  If that fails, you may have a corrupt install of windows.  Reinstalling windows often fixes problems that can't be fixed once you've tried all the hardware possibilities.  You may also have a bad stick of ram and when it tries to load windows into memory, it hangs.  You may be getting "lucky" because windows may not load into the section of bad memory on that one lucky bootup.  I had a similar type problem and narrowed it down to a faulty stick of memory.

Jay

Inventmd at aol.com wrote:
I need help from you computer geniuses out there....My Falcon 4.0 puter is acting up.

Problem:  When I boot up, the computer freezes on the opening screen.  I can see and hear it activate the DVD ROM in the top bay (the LED lights on, then off)....., and then the CD RW in the 2nd bay drive (the LED lights on, then off).  It freezes when activating the Floppy A: drive.  (In other words, the green light on the floppy drive lights and stays on.....)

I tried disconnecting the A: drive (pulled both power cable & controller cable) but the same thing happens with or without floppy drive.

I tried the reset button and go thru the same process 5 or 6 times and then on the last time, I am able to boot to Win98.

The computer seems to run fine while I am in.  But if I turn it off, I go thru the same process of freeze, reset, freeze, reset, etc until I get lucky and it goes thru.

Could this be a bad CMOS battery or a bios problem, RAM, or motherboard thing?
I don't think it is hard drive or software problem.  I know nothing about checking bios versions....

thanks in advance for the help.

John
To unsubscribe, please see the instructions at the bottom of the above page. Thanks!