[simpits-tech] Computer problems

Inventmd at aol.com Inventmd at aol.com
Sat Jul 10 09:55:14 PDT 2004

I need help from you computer geniuses out there....My Falcon 4.0 puter is
acting up.

Problem:  When I boot up, the computer freezes on the opening screen.  I can
see and hear it activate the DVD ROM in the top bay (the LED lights on, then
off)....., and then the CD RW in the 2nd bay drive (the LED lights on, then
off).  It freezes when activating the Floppy A: drive.  (In other words, the
green light on the floppy drive lights and stays on.....)

I tried disconnecting the A: drive (pulled both power cable & controller
cable) but the same thing happens with or without floppy drive.

I tried the reset button and go thru the same process 5 or 6 times and then
on the last time, I am able to boot to Win98.

The computer seems to run fine while I am in.  But if I turn it off, I go
thru the same process of freeze, reset, freeze, reset, etc until I get lucky and
it goes thru.

Could this be a bad CMOS battery or a bios problem, RAM, or motherboard thing?
I don't think it is hard drive or software problem.  I know nothing about
checking bios versions....

thanks in advance for the help.

John