[simpits-tech] Question

Matt Bailey mattb at rtccom.net
Wed Jul 7 21:39:48 PDT 2004

Gene Buckle wrote:

> >       The LCD panel idea has always appealed to me, seems like a cheap(er) way to
> > do projection, plus it allows use of really bright overhead projectors
> > instead of being stuck with whatever's in an LCD projector. Where did you get
> > yours? Ebay?
>
> The one I have I picked up from eBay something like 3 years ago.  The
> problem with buying them from eBay is you're competing will all the
> knuckle dragging sports fiends that want to watch football on a huge
> screen while they guzzle beer and beat their women. ;)

	I guess I should hang out on ebay more, you guys seem to find all
manner of cool loot. :) I looked around once for LCD panels there and
all I could find were like one or two junky 640x480 panels.

> >       I also recall seeing a page that discussed using LCD panels from laptops (I
> > think), with frensel lenses. They made this somewhat large wood box they
> > mounted everything in, took the "default" backlighting off the LCD panel, and
> > used some sort of bright bulb behind the panel. Looked like a very slick and
> > potentially high-quality method.
> >
> That would be interesting to see, unfortunately, you need the laptop
> working to drive the panel.  They can't be driven from an external source.
>
> g.

	Eh, shouldn't be too hard to find a junk Pentium 133 laptop or
something like that. I figure if I ever tried this it would be best to
just buy a whole laptop anyway.
	Wow, barebones LCD panels seem to go for cheap, I guess they're not in
big demand.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42188&item=3490377291&rd=1
Only about 30 mins left on the auction, and only one person has bid on
it. But I'll probably end up going the route you did, much simpler.
	Grrrr, all this talk of cockpit stuff makes me want to build one!!!
Living at home has its advantages, but space for cockpit building is not
among them. :/

	-Matt Bailey