[simpits-tech] MacGayver

Fred Mahone fred.mahone at vt.edu
Wed Jul 7 13:32:01 PDT 2004

Marc,

	Ok, you asked for it, now I will slip into my MacGyver mode. If you do not
remember the series, MacGyver work for a group and was always taking odd
objects to solve problems or get away from the bad guys. My wife claims I
am like him!

	If you are making a fighter aircraft (who is not?), you will have compound
convex curves, curves in more than one direction and bowing out.

	The nylon net will not work unless you have a lot of support for the curving.

	The way I would do it is use the foam panels that are used in home built
aircraft. You do not have to use the thick ones as
there will be no external forces being applied. Cut the panels to fit
between the ribs with excess protruding to the exterior. Glue the
panels in place with something that will not attack the foam.

	Rough cut the foam to the approximate curves of the outer skin and flush
with the ribs. Now use sandpaper on a block to smooth the curves to the
proper profile. You now have a backing for fiberglass layup.

	From here, I would get a book from one of the aircraft homebuilder sites
to take you through the proper use of resin and fiberglass. A finished skin
can be sanded smooth as you wish. Really get adventurous and drill small
holes and get some rivets from Ebay and resin them in before painting!

Fred Mahone