[simpits-tech] Mastercard moment...

Matt Bailey mattb at rtccom.net
Tue Jul 6 14:03:55 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 06 July 2004 08:18 am, Alan D. Mazurka wrote:
> Hi, Matt.
>
> ever try the Sierra (Papyrus) version of NASCAR racing? it has won rave
> reviews for being as much a simulation than a racer.

	I had the original NASCAR racing. At the time (1995-96'ish) I was not much
into racing sims and not very skilled.........my favorite NASCAR activity was
driving the course backwards and wreaking utter havoc. =D
	I did try one of the more recent NASCAR demos, 2002 I think it was. I suppose
the physics are good enough, the model did seem fairly detailed and dynamic.
Having never driven a real stock car, I can't say for sure if it's accurate
or not. :)
	<rant> NASCAR has never held any real interest for me.......the advertising
and commercialization really gets on my nerves (just look at the cars). But
also, my impression of the cars (from casual observation of the real NASCAR
world, and a few NASCAR sims) is that they are somewhat "brutes" when
compared to European and Asian sports cars. Tons of power, decent top speed,
but huge cars with not-very-pleasant handling. Heavy to drive, always ready
to break loose and bite you. </rant>
	I can see the appeal from a "raw power" perspective I guess, but personally I
prefer a more well-rounded car with good manners....I like the car to be fun
to drive. Also, I prefer smaller cars for their agility.
	The 60's F1 cars in GPL are somewhat similar in that they are tricky and seem
to enjoy biting the driver, but somehow they're not as obnoxious about it. :)

> i like how the rear-end slip is communicated through force feedback.
>
> i'm eating up these reviews from a 'realism' perspective: it's been awhile
> sice i've been "behind the wheel".
>
>   - adm -

	I highly recommend Viper Racing. :)

	-Matt Bailey