[simpits-tech] cable ties

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Fri Jul 2 11:51:00 PDT 2004

> Gene,
> 	The one advantage cable ties have is the ability to anchor the
> cable along its run. Most lacing is between connectors with the cable in
> free space. I guess everything has its advantages and disadvantages. I
> do use the recommended tie tool to set the ties and cut them off. I,
> too, have been sliced by ties cut off by a pair of diagonals, like being
> sliced by a scalpel.

I've got one of those too.  Picked it up at the Simulator Training
auction.  It's one of those tools I'll let go of when they pry it out of
my cold, dead, hands. :)

> 	In use a lot now is the mesh tubing that can expand and contract
> to make a tight sleeve. I have not used any of this but have seen it in
> newer aircraft installs.

I recently got some of that material.  In the F-15 it was used on every
connector.  They put a 7" length of it behind each cannon plug.  The rest
of the harness is wrapped in a fabric like tape.