[simpits-tech] War Hits Home

Roy Coates roy at flightlab.liv.ac.uk
Mon Jan 26 17:05:18 PST 2004

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Brian Sikkema wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> Well, I just found out that a good friend of mine, an F-16 Crew Chief in the Michigan ANG, is getting deployed to Iraq pretty soon. We don't know exactly where he's going yet, but it's not like there's a plethora of options. I think it comes down to pretty much either Kirkuk or Bhagdad International, but I could be wrong. Anyway, there's a big group of us from the high school days that are in the military in one form or another, 2 ANG guys, both Crew Chiefs, 1 active duty AF, hoopilopter crewman/door gunner, 2 of us in ROTC, and one at the Academy. But Ben's the first of us to get shipped out anywhere. I guess this is going to be the first of many, though. It's just an interesting new point of view on the whole thing. Definitely not CNN's angle.

Being in the military has many great benefits - the chance of being sent
somewhere like Iraq can certainly take the edge off that though.

I'm reminded of the warning on a Jackass type TV show. "Remember, its all
good fun until someone loses a bollock".

I wish him a very safe and interesting post in sandy city.

Roy.