[simpits-tech] RE: making your own panels

Alan D. Mazurka adm.design at verizon.net
Tue Jan 6 10:54:53 PST 2004

hi,

as far as diffusing LED lighting goes - i've been thinking along the
following lines:

white, opaque, 1/4 " plexi (if it exists) could be drilled to accept LEDs.
if you position the LED so its light source was in the plane of the plexi,
then its light should be diffused throughout the medium of the plexi (in
roughly a circle). position the LEDs as appropriate for your lettering, etc.

i might even suggest painting the tops of the LEDs white so they don't "hot
spot".

in my truck, i removed the heater control knobs (which conduct light to
their pointers), and found a similar  lighting arrangement - except they
don't use LEDs. the concept seems to be: "make lots of light in back, then
block it off in front".

the "block it off part", being your panel. i plan to paint the
backside  (of a clear lexan panel) black, and allow the light to pass
through any open (unpainted) areas.

hopefully, this will result in a nice, scratch-resistant panel, with all
lettering, etc on the backside.

  - adm -

At 01:54 PM 1/5/04 -0700, you wrote:

>A clear piece of plexiglas might not be the best solution for the panel
>since the LED light (or whatever you use for a light source) would not
>diffuse very much and it would be more like a spot of light.   But I would
>have to do some testing to really check that out.   Hopefully something
>easily obtainable like plexiglas would work as opposed to some sort of
>unobtainium.  :-)
>
>I know the material the real panels use have a sort of hazy, milky
>look.   I actually think the real panels are epoxy filled.
>
>The real panels I have taken apart have that hazy center section or
>"plate".   The plate is then covered with a white "paint" layer that is
>about 0.010" thick and then the whole thing is painted with a layer of
>black paint again in the 0.010" thick range.
>Jim

Alan D.
Mazurka
adm.design at verizon.net