[simpits-tech] Force Feedback Controls...

Gordan Sikic gordan.s at mail.inet.hr
Sat Jan 3 23:32:46 PST 2004

Hi Stuart,

> Had anyone looked at or considered ripping apart a force feedback
> joystick in order to get force feedback on the pit controls?

I've been thinking about it, but I have quickly abandoned idea. The
driving motors are way to small, and lack "power" needed to generate
appropriate force (up to 300 N, on a stick cca 50cm long).

Another problem that should be thought of is the _time_ needed to
generate force; it should be as small as possible, i.e. stronger the
motor, the better. Joystick motors are not capable of fulfilling this
requirement either.

I'd prefer to have complete "servo system" that will follow the
calculated force (as a driving signal). Force should be calculated using
separate program running in real time on a PC, with flight data from the
flsim program as input, together with position (and speed) of the stick.
(<- this _was_ a long sentence :)

I admit it is a bit biased view, but aren't we all in pursue of
perfection? ;)

ciao,

Gordan