[simpits-tech] Force Feedback Controls...

Matt Bailey mattb at rtccom.net
Sat Jan 3 15:54:23 PST 2004

On Saturday 03 January 2004 02:07 am, you wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Had anyone looked at or considered ripping apart a force feedback
> joystick in order to get force feedback on the pit controls?
>
> I have just ripped apart an old Logitech wingman force, and it looks
> like it might not be too hard.
>
> Anyone tried it?
>
> Cheers,
> Stuart Whelan
> Simulation Hardware LTD

	I noticed the FF in my old Sidewinder consists of simply two motors. It
would seem quite possible to either use these motors on a custom setup (not a
good idea IMO as they would more than likely be too weak) or use the
electronics to control larger motors. But considering the fact that FF
effects in all the flight sims I've tried are just about useless and hardly
correlate to real world controls in any tangible way, I don't see the point
of it. Better to do a nice pneumatic or spring/bungee setup with control
force tailored to approximate the basic feel of a real plane in typical
flight conditions.

	-matt Bailey