[simpits-tech] Now I'm lost.

Matt Bailey mattb at rtccom.net
Fri Jan 2 18:53:34 PST 2004

On Friday 02 January 2004 04:54 am, you wrote:
> Matt Bailey wrote:
> > Yeah I picked up FS2004 a few weeks ago and have been having fun with
> > it,
> > even getting into VATSIM a bit (the main reason I want a headset
> > adaptor).
> > I'm beginning to realize that my options now are a lot more
> > open......Simkits, FSUIPC, multi monitor support on one machine,
> > etc......but
>
> Yup, there's a ton of stuff out there. So much that I have no idea where to
> start. I've figured out that I need, at the bare minimum, a monitor for the
> forward view, 2 for the EFIS, and a small LCD for the GPS, though I could
> probably get away with sticking it on one of the EFIS tubes in a pinch. The
> CRJ has a screen in the EICAS that is close to a GPS (FMS Map). Wouldn't be
> perfect, but then I don't have the time, money, or resources to make
> everything perfect.

	Hmmm, sounds promising. It had occurred to me you could just put the GPS
gear in front of part of an LCD, I was thinking LCD for GPS and other radios,
but I don't think logistically it would be feasible due to the layout of the
avionics stack and having enough room between the LCD and the back of
switches etc. Worthy of investigation though.......perhaps you could use the
lower right corner of the LCD for GPS stuff, that way the buttons and knobs
(which run along the bottom and right) would be clear. Depends on what GPS
you're simulating of course.

> > then again, MSFS just doesn't have the "feel" or the out-the-window
> > view of
> > X-Plane (I always thought X-Plane's natural looking view would be just
> > awesome on a nice big simulator visual system, plus it's insane frame
> > rate).
>
> I dunno, with everything cranked up FS04 looks pretty good to me. I was
> amazed that I can actually get away with that, though. I'm not used to
> having a sickeningly fast computer.

	Oh it's purdy, real purdy......I guess it's more the quality of the view.
The graphics look great, but somehow the view isn't quite as convincing as
X-Plane in general image perspective. A good example is runway
environment......X-Plane uses textures to represent runway markings, whereas
FS uses polygons. FS's method is more versatile, but X-Plane's looks a whole
lot better. That's one of the more tangible examples.

> > Actually I'm not sure a GPS would be so easy, as you'd still
> > need either
> > rotary switches or rotary encoders for some stuff, plus some way to
> > get just
> > the GPS display on one monitor. But then the GPS view can be dragged
> > to a
> > seperate monitor, right? Then the trick would be getting it to fill
> > the screen.......
>
> Only need 2 encoders, the rest are just momentary buttons. Piece of cake to
> move the GPS window and it can be resized, so it wouldn't take more than a
> little fiddling to get it sized right.

	Cool..............keep us posted. :)

	-Matt Bailey