[simpits-tech] A-10 replacement

Rob Hommel rhommel at tacoma.net
Mon Feb 23 21:12:51 PST 2004

I think that the folks hanging the signs around their necks saying things
like Secretary of Defense and such are fighting the last war, like
politicians always do. The stealthy characteristics of the Comanche are
going to be substituted with the unmanned capabilities and low costs of the
Predator program. The Comanche program is nearly 20 years in review and
never adopted. There has been approx. 8 billion dollars spent on the program
and after the cancellation and money still owed to contractors on the
project the costs will still be in the neighborhood of 12 billion dollars.
Tell me that the politico's can't spend money and produce nothing.

The withdrawal of the A-10 and the substitution of the F-35 VSTOL for ground
support role is another failure of the military and the politicians to see
the long term benefit of proven weapons platforms vs. voter gains. The
military saw the writing on the wall from the other Washington and looked
for the best alternative. Politicians need to feed the voters jobs when the
cry goes out this is the only way they have to feed it by creating
government jobs. So where do you suppose the jobs will be created, given
that the F-35 is an international project with work being done in several
nations? When do you think they will even have a F 35 VSTOL platform that
will function. As has been pointed out the JSF has only one engine and has
fewer options to perform the job than the A-10. Where do they find these
politicians, did we really vote them into office? I think not. The only
thing nice I have to say about the JSF is that it will be a fairly easy
aircraft to build a sim of with an all glass cockpit.

Two bad decisions in two days, if you made that many bad decisions in the
same period of time you would be looking for a new job. Anyone want to hire
Donald Rumsfield, I wouldn't take him if he was available.

off my soapbox, still peeved.

Keep 'em Flying
Rob Hommel