[simpits-tech] New file uploaded to Simpits by Ben JONES.

Mike Brogley mikebrogley at ieee.org
Mon Feb 2 22:27:39 PST 2004

The accident report says the pilot applied max aft stick pressure from
the top of the loop until he punched out, which had the flight control
system "max perform" the F-16 at 2.5g, 24° AOA (I believe the F-16 FCS
has a hard AOA limit). When he puched out, the airplane was "140 feet
AGL with a descent rate of 8400 fpm and a speed of 228 KCAS" (knots
calibrated air speed); 0.8 seconds later the F-16 impacted with "a 1.4
degree nose up attitude", but still descending at 8400 feet per minute.

The photo matches this exectly - slight nose high attitude, but still
descending. If you sum the angles, it was still headed downhill at just
about a 22° angle when the photo was taken, even though the nose was
slightly above the horizon.

--
Mike