[simpits-tech] Gettin spyware off

Matt Bailey mattb at rtccom.net
Tue Apr 27 15:18:32 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 27 April 2004 01:56 pm, Inventmd at aol.com wrote:
> Sorry if this message is repeated......puter problems...
>
> For those of us dumb enough to have accidentally downloaded that spyware
> media player to watch the ion propulsion vid.....
> How do we get it back off....  any easy way to uninstall?
>
> For that matter, is it possible to unistall Microsoft explorer and
> reinstall the latest version??  My Internet Explorer is corrupted with all
> sorts of adware and junk.
>
> Thanks!
>
> John

	You can try going to the add/remove software window and see if the media
player app is listed there, and dump it.
	I highly recommend you check out Lavasoft's AdAware. http://www.lavasoft.de/
In fact, anyone still stuck with Windows really needs this software (or
something comparable) IMO, unless the computer is just never connected to the
internet...............it cleans out spyware/trackware, and cookies etc.
Should take out the media player stuff (although it may have to take media
player with it) as well as things that have appended themselves to your IE
install (updating IE shouldn't be necessary).
	The silver bullet to all this, of course, is to use Linux. ;)

	-Matt Bailey