[simpits-tech] Cougar - Keystroke - DirectX

Mark Doran mark_s_doran at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 27 10:22:25 PDT 2004

Well, boy there's a bit of a story there.

What are you using from the shared memory for lighting gear lamps??

You will notice that the current BMS and SP3 (and earlier) header files
don't include a bit, per se, for each of the gear lamps.  There are gear
position (gearpos) float values that was I think added in one of the SP
exe's.  Now, these values show gear up/down but in terms that the graphics
models work and the values that this field can take are defined as part of
the data files...in other words they can change if you make changes to the
various dat files.  Any correlation between the problem you see and
switching to the new SP4 with updated dat files by chance?? ;-)

I discovered a while ago that the current state of the dat files for the
F-16 in the SP4 package has a gear down value of 0.75 for the left main gear
strut and something like 1.35 for the right strut and 1.75 for the nose
gear.  Something like that anyway; I don't have the exact numbers handy.  I
have *no* idea why the main gear values wouldn't be symmetrical -- must have
made sense to a modeler at some point.

However, if you (as I was) are using the gearpos values to figure out if you
should light the gear panel green lamps, a test of the value again oh say
"1" will not work consistently and either way is susceptible to the modelers
changing the dat files again at some point in the future.

So again, in the next rev of the BMS exe, I put three new bits in the
LightBits3 that are boolean on/off bits where on means gear down and locked
and the code in the exe only sets this bit if that is true.  I'm using these
to drive the gear lamps.

Until the new exe comes along, about your only option is to work through the
model files in the SP4 package and work out the exact "fully extended"
values that are in there and test the gearpos variables in the shared memory
against those values.

Cheers,

Mark.

BMS