[simpits-tech] Eject!!!!!!!

Matt Bailey mattb at rtccom.net
Wed Sep 17 01:07:16 PDT 2003

On Tuesday 16 September 2003 09:21 am, you wrote:
> > Gene, you fly R/C? Ever flown a CG Tiger? I've got a .40-size one,
> > awesome flying plane. Not an extreme aerobat like an Extra, but a very
> > nice happy medium between that and a trainer. Very smooth,
> > "go-where-you-point-it" plane, especially with a .46 in it.
>
> I haven't flown seriously for at least 8 years.  I've poked at it recently
> but nothing serious.  I got one of those EPP 1/2A foamies to play with and
> for whatever reason it was impossible to fly.  Made nice crunching noises
> when I stuffed it into the garbage can though. :)

	I'd like to try those EPP slope combat planes......full contact air-to-air
combat sounds like fun. :)

> I put a Super Tigre .46 on a Durabat once.  The thing was a damn rocket.
> At full throttle and the dual rates off, it was _still_ a twitch in the
> air.

	Whoa.......yes it seems like .46 engines are typically of the high
performance variety. Mine's a Thunder Tiger, has ball bearing mounted
crankshaft and the usual assortment of other goodies. This plane actually
used to have a .48 4-stroke......reasonably powerful, but quite mellow to fly
compared to the 2-stroke. Sounded awesome though, and was a wonderful match
for my Cub. Doesn't want to run very well now though, too bad. I guess it's
something with the valves but I've never got around to working on it. Not
that I'd know what to do anyway. :)

>  My favorite plane was a Cox Cessna 172.  I pulled the landing gear
> off of it, gave it a better firewall and threw a Black Widow .049 with a
> tank extender on it.  It would snap roll so fast it looked like white
> blob.  A snap roll from a high speed dive put an end to it.  The rubber
> bands let go right about the same time as the firewall tore off the front
> end.  It landed in three different places.  Ahh, the good old days, eh? :)
>
> g.

	Hmmm I've pulled the landing gear off some models but in my case it's
usually not intentional. :) Never lost one from rubber band failure (is that
an official NTSB term?) although once my instructor was doing some high speed
dives with my trainer an actually lifted the wing off the fuselage for a few
moments and the wing moved back a bit. Also had the engine nearly fall off of
my first trainer......always use nice stout metal throttle control rods. :)
	My worst crash would probably be either my first 4-channel trainer, which
went down inexplicably (might have been bad aileron servo connection, it
entered a spin but I still had throttle control........thought it might be
radio trouble but I've never had trouble with the radio since, could have
been interference I guess) or my second 4-channel trainer that my dad drove
straight into the ground. :O Really it was my fault, I let him get it too low
and far away. Wrong response when the plane was coming toward him, and when I
took over, instead of rolling the plane so it ended up with the least pitch
attitude, I just pulled back. Oh, and this was with the .46...at full
throttle. BOOM! Looked like someone set off a bomb in a balsa forest. :) The
folks at Thunder Tiger fixed the engine for free though, runs great. They
said it was covered under warranty. Go figure!

	-Matt Bailey