[simpits-tech] Projector impressions

Justin Messenger jjmessenger at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 17 09:35:52 PDT 2003

Jay,
 the throw distance is about 9 feet. The screen sits about a foot infront of the sim and the projector is directly behind and above the sim. The problem this creates is that a small part of the projection does not clear the windscreen frame so there is a windscreen shadow in the bottom part of the screen directly infront of the sim. The cool effect from this is that when I turn light rolls across frame giving the impression that the sun is creating the effects.

If I had the room I would place the projector behind the screen and use the invers function, but room is a real problem for me, I think gene said  his setup projects from behind the screen.

As for the best wide angle feel, I would say 8 feet would be perfect. That makes everything look pretty life sized. Parking beside a 747 with my 7 foot wide set up is pretty impressive. So is navigating through a large airport! That is now an adventure!

Last night I saw the Discovery Wings sim program some of you had talked about. Those wrap around projector systems are so cool. It looked like their widest point was about 5 to 6 feet for the F-16 and F-15 sims.

FYI, my middle name is Jay You dont hear of to many Jay's around:)
Justin